Friday, August 6, 2010

Fun Story Friday~The Tide Burglar

In lieu of my anniversary this week, I thought I'd tell one of our funny stories from our first year of marriage. This is a pretty good one in my mind, I hope you enjoy it!

Our first home was an older, fixer upper to be sure. It was a tiny little house. The bathroom had an accordion door on it, not exactly private. It had an old store room off the kitchen, which is where the washer and dryer were. It even had one of those old water heaters that was a little box, not tall and round like they are now. It had one bedroom, a quaint living room, and an OLD formal living room with yellow shag carpet. We never used that room to my regret now, but it was fabulous storage for all of our combined items. Troy lived alone for several years before we got married and I had acquired a lot of things as well and we had no where to put them in that tiny house, hence the storage. Looking back, I loved that old house, and I still have the fondest memories of that house, and how wonderful and simple life was.
Well, moving on. You know how it is when you first get married. You have to go to the grocery store and buy EVERYTHING! You literally start out with nothing. Well, we had just come home from my parents house after coming back early from our honeymoon and some of the gracious women from the church had cleaned our house and prepared dinner for us. We sat down that first night home to a candle lit dinner of steak. The next day we went to the grocery store and bought everything we needed to set up house, including Tide, toilet paper, all the food, even spices, and salt. We spent a fortune that day. I went home and cooked my first meal for us, I was so excited to set up house. Well, that night, after I'd cleaned up the kitchen and Troy and I watched t.v. and talked a while, I put a load of laundry in before going to bed. I placed the big new box of Tide on the water heater, it being a box shape, it was perfect for placing the Tide box and Spray N' Wash on. Well I turned the washer on and headed to bed. Troy and I had just laid down and gotten almost to sleep when we heard a scratching noise and then a huge bang. We both sailed out of bed and I thought someone was breaking in. I looked at Troy and said, "Go check it out." He looked back at me and said, "You check it out. Why do I have to?" "You're the man stupid, you're supposed to check it out. " "Who came up with that", he said. Well, being my brave knight in shining armour, Troy picked up a metal hanger from the floor and banged it on the wall screaming, "Who's there, I've got a gun!" I looked at him and said, "Well you just scared whoever it is to death with a hanger!" Troy said, "Well what else do I have to use?" Troy walked into the living room and saw nothing. He went to the front door and it was sound. He went into the kitchen through to the store room and the washing machine was just a bouncing. The old hot water heater and the old uneven floor had caused our washer to start bouncing. The hot water heater was bouncing so ferociously that it knocked our brand new box of Tide and Spray N' Wash into the floor making a horrible noise like a burglar breaking into the house. We cleaned up the huge mess and went to bed, but we learned a huge lesson that night from our Tide Thief, never put the Tide back on the water heater. Hope you all have a Happy Friday. Love you friends, Come often!

3 comments:

  1. I have lots of fond memories from that house too! Sweet baby madeline, you cooking (I couldn't yet), games, movies... I love you my friend!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment, but know any harsh talk or crude language will be removed and go unanswered.